Warehouse and supply chain management can be a complicated process that requires streamlined operations to ensure smooth functioning. Every aspect of warehousing, such as sorting, picking, packing, and shipping, must be planned meticulously to meet the customer’s requirements and satisfy their preferences. When it comes to the garment industry, where multiple SKUs and sizes need to be managed under different brands, a proper sorting system is paramount. With over 50 years of experience in garment-on-hanger solutions, we have seen both the challenges and the advantages that can be presented. This blog post will discuss the garment-on-hanger sortation system, its advantages, and how it can be implemented to maximize efficiency and save costs.
What is a Garment On Hanger Sortation System?
A Garment On Hanger (GOH) sortation system is an automated method of sorting, storing, and transporting garments. The system uses specialized equipment, such as overhead rail systems, conveyors, and sorters, to handle different types of clothes, hangers, and packaging. GOH systems increase productivity, reduce labor costs, and offer higher efficiency compared to traditional garment handling methods.
Advantages of a GOH Sortation System
Increased efficiency – The GOH sortation system is an automated process that can handle a high volume of garments quickly and efficiently. The system can sort, store, and transport the garments in a structured manner, eliminating chances of error and reducing handling time.
Better inventory management – The GOH system offers precise tracking and monitoring of garments, which helps the management team maintain an accurate inventory count. The system can also store garments in a designated location, making it easier for the team to locate and pick the desired garment quickly.
Higher storage capacity – With a GOH sorting system, there is less risk of damage and wastage of clothing, ensuring that the garments remain in good condition for longer. The system also offers higher storage capacity than conventional garment sorting methods, making it ideal for warehouses with limited space.
Sustainable operations – GOH systems help reduce the use of packaging materials, such as boxes and plastic bags, which contribute to environmental pollution. The system also offers more sustainable operations by increasing the lifespan of clothing, reducing carbon footprint, and promoting a circular economy.
Implementation of a GOH Sortation System
Implementing the GOH sortation system requires proper planning, assessment, and execution. Here are some steps to consider when implementing the system:
- Assessment of the warehouse layout – warehouses should have adequate space with overhead rails and conveyor systems to ensure the system can function effectively. It is advisable to conduct a feasibility study to identify the ideal areas where the system can be installed.
- Integration of the system – the GOH sortation system should integrate with existing warehouse management systems to ensure seamless operations. This will require software development and hardware installation to ensure that the system can integrate into the existing environment.
- Training and support – with any new technology implementation, there is often a need for training and support for the warehouse teams. The teams will need to understand how the system works, how to operate the equipment, and how to maintain it.
ABCO Systems is a premier provider of GOH sortation and storage solutions. We have been installing GOH solutions for numerous apparel brands for over 50 years and bring this experience to all customers to provide the best solution to meet each customer’s unique needs.
For more information on ABCO’s GOH solutionsABCO GOH Solutions
- The Garment on Hanger (GOH) sortation system is an automated method of sorting, storing, and transporting garments, increasing productivity and reducing labor costs.
- Benefits of the system include increased efficiency, better inventory management, higher storage capacity, and sustainable operations.
- Implementation of the GOH sortation system requires assessment of the warehouse layout, integration with existing systems, and training for the warehouse team.
- Integrating a GOH sortation system can help maximize efficiency and save costs in garment warehouses.